Mauritius, a volcanic island nation in the Indian Ocean, is known for its beaches, lagoons and reefs. The mountainous interior encompasses Black River Gorges National Park, with rainforests, waterfalls, hiking trails and native fauna like the flying fox. Its population is 1.5 million and GDP per capita of USD 9,202.
AHO PRIORITIES FOR HEALTH DELIVERY PLAN IN MAURITIUS
- Cardiovascular diseases, traffic accidents, alcoholism, perinatal mortality, sickle cell anaemia, and neoplasms, addictions, hypertension, diabetes, perinatal mortality, autism, and poverty.
- Injuries, poisoning, diseases of the circulatory system, neoplasms, and infectious and parasitic diseases
PROGRAMMES & PROJECTS
1. DEVELOPMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
To strengthen the expansion of selected services
- Technical cooperation increased to support health sector.
- Support provided for technical cooperation in managing natural disasters.
- Support provided for the participation in the areas of tourism and water quality.
- Management of communicable diseases strengthened.
- Technical cooperation initiated for selected lifestyle and family health conditions.
- Technical cooperation between AHO and government strengthened.
AHO MAURITIUS 2020 (USD million) based on 2017 pop. 2.165 million World Bank
|1||Combating communicable diseases||
|2||Tackling non communicable diseases||
|3||Addressing determinants of health & risk factors||
|4||Modernising health system and health service||
|5||Improving preparedness, surveillance and response||
|6||Developing good governance & corporate services||
AHO estimates that it needs to spend at least USD100 per capita on health to meet the basic health needs of the people in Africa. This is too far below developed countries e.g. in England it is US$1,300 per capita (2017)